It’s SUPERFOOD SUNDAY!
This weeks feature: Oil pulling with coconut oil.
Coconut oil can be used in so many ways. It’s not just for cooking but it’s also perfect as a conditioner, hair mask, after sun or my fave, for oil pulling.
Oil pulling? It’s an ancient Ayurvedic technique to detoxify your body, anti- inflammatory, to whiten your teeth, antiplaque (especially when wearing braces) and it’s good against bad breath. It’s really easy to do and very inexpensive. What you’ll need: a spoon, organic coconut oil and twenty minutes of your time.
1. First thing in the morning (and on an empty stomach) take a table spoon of coconut oil (and set your timer).
2. Rinse your mouth for 20 minutes and ‘clean’ your teeth with your tongue and make sure the oil gets properly between your teeth as well.
3. The first time you pull oil can be a bit weird. But it’s just a matter of getting used to. (I sneezed all over the place!)
4. Make sure you don’t swallow the oil! During your sleep bacteria builds up at the back of your tongue. And you don’t want to get those in your system.
5. The oil mixes with the saliva and thus extracts the toxins out of your body.
6. After about 20 minutes (and after that long shower) spit out the oil in a bin. (Not in your sink or toilet, it can get clogged).
7. Rinse your mouth with water and brush your teeth.
8. Your metabolism got a kick start so you can have your brekkie now.
That’s it! Try this for at least two weeks to a month to notice the benefits. I’m not a doctor and these are my personal findings. If you have medical or dental issues you should consult your doctor or dentist. But oil pulling is a perfect addition to your healthy lifestyle! .
So… are you pulling?
Image and text: by Mishanou Montero